"There is no drug that has been proven to be effective against the virus. Our best cure is prevention. And VCO helps do that effectively," said former Agriculture Secretary and President of the Federation of Free Farmers Rep. Leonardo Montemayor.
Virgin coconut oil has long been advocated by industry leaders, members of the academe, and loyal consumers as an immune-system boosting product that helps fights several viruses, including even HIV.
Dr. Tess Espino of the University of the Philippines-Los Baños says there is scienfitic basis for the claim, since VCO has lauric acid, a natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal compound.
"The natural derivative of lauric acid, monolaurin, actually breaks down the barriers surrounding the virus' cells, effectively destroying the virus," she explains.
Espino says the recommended dosage for VCO to be effective is 3 tablespoons a day.
But Montemayor adds there are also many other ways one can consume VCO or coconut, such as using the oil to cook, or eating directly from a coconut.
Both Montemayor and Espino clarify that VCO itself is not a cure, but that if the virus is contracted, then it would still be effective in minimizing the impact of the strain.
Other benefits of virgin coconut oil:
- The oil promotes weight loss as well as weight maintenance
- It provides a source of antimicrobial lipid
- The oil does not interfere with functioning of the thyroid
- It protects against heart disease
- It helps prevent cancer
- It is easy on the digestion system
- It empowers the immune system
- The oil does not contain cholesterol, thereby not increasing the cholesterol level in the blood
- Does not cause the stickiness of platelets that causes the formation of blood clots
- The oil helps prevent bacterial, viral and fungal infections. C
- Coconut helps to prevent osteoporosis.
- It helps in keeping diabetes under control
- It is known to keep the skin soft when used externally
Below are just some of the pathogenic organisms that are inactivated by medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) abundantly found in coconut oil:
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Helicobacter pylori
- Hepatits C virus
- Chlamydia trachomatis
- SARS coronavirus
- Hemophilus influenza
- Leukemia virus
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Ciliate protozoa
- Measles virus
- Streptococcus agalactiae
… and many many more …